
Ooops! Wrong fearless leader, there! That's the supremo of North Korea, and I meant to have GWB. Anyway, one leader swearing to tell the truth and do the right thing is as good as another, right? Isn't that what those conservatives always say: Can't trust the government; Keep power out of one person's hands; Men are weak and fallible, so we need checks and balances. That was the idea behind our constitution in this country.
Now we have George Bush justifying his domestic spying by saying, "I took an oath." Well, so did a lot of convicted ex-politicians take a similar oath. So did people convicted of perjury! The fact that a man takes an oath of office when he's sworn in doesn't give him carte blanche - it means he can be held accountable! GWB's basically saying, "I'm your prez, trust me. I will do only the right thing." Is that the kind of gibberish we want from our leaders? And are we so cowardly and childish that we are willing to be lead by people who condescend to us in such a way?
Now we have George Bush justifying his domestic spying by saying, "I took an oath." Well, so did a lot of convicted ex-politicians take a similar oath. So did people convicted of perjury! The fact that a man takes an oath of office when he's sworn in doesn't give him carte blanche - it means he can be held accountable! GWB's basically saying, "I'm your prez, trust me. I will do only the right thing." Is that the kind of gibberish we want from our leaders? And are we so cowardly and childish that we are willing to be lead by people who condescend to us in such a way?

No comments:
Post a Comment